Re: Thai

Subject: Re: Thai
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 16:19:00 CST

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 01:34:56AM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > > Is there a way we could get it to recognize either? As in, both ru-RU
> > > and ru_RU being used. This would prevent this sort of confusion.
> >
> > Currently a very generic function generates a list of possible combinations.
> > It would be inconvenient to hack a specialized version for generating all
> > "permutations" of font paths just for ignorant people's convenience. Any
> > not-shy font packager should ask us why something doesn't work for him.
> >

> First, writing that code would be very easy. You just have to do a
> simple replace of _ to - and vice versa.

 It obvious that current function can't be called twice with different
serparators - since a resultant set of path must be unique (so some sorting
and then removing duplicates should be performed - that's too compilcated). So
a new version of the/another function should be written.

> Second, this is the sort of things computers, and not people, do well.
> Therefore, we can make people's lives easier by including this.
> Rgeardless of why the mistake happened, fixing it is easy for us, and
> should be done.

 I don't think that mistakes of this kind will be that often. But of course we
should prevent people from making mistakes - documenting process of i18n of AW
someday will help a lot.

> What function is it, so that I can change this?

 It's 'localeinfo_combinations' in XAP_EncodingManager.cpp. Of course caller
of this function should be updated - it uses automatic array of small size
for resultant pointer - so the size of that array should also be increased.

> sam th
> sam@uchicago.edu
> http://www.abisource.com/~sam
> GnuPG Key: