Re: Brewing a new backend

Subject: Re: Brewing a new backend
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 05:15:58 CST

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Jesper Skov wrote:

> >> Actually, I'm not even sure what the future timeline of AbiWord
> >> is. Presumably 0.7.12 will be followed by 0.9 and shortly by 1.0,
> >> or what? If at all possible, I'd like to be done with this before
> >> 1.0 since I find it too easy to crash AbiWord - IMO the current
> >> random crashes in the text code should be fixed before 1.0. But
> >> the timeline may not allow an early adoption of this stuff...

HI Jesper,
          Regarding the timeline, I think our next release should be by
early February to be in line with the currently expected Gnome 1.4
release.

I'm not sure if we'll make 0.90 by then. I don't think Borders and Shading
will be ready unless someone steps up to start work on it right away. We
could debate whether Borders and Shading should be in the 0.90 release
though. For all the other features I listed in an email a few days ago I
think we've got a good shot at getting those ready for early Feb, though
right now the Gnome front end is streets ahead of the other platforms and
getting further ahead all the time.

The other big dialogs are Page Setup, Styles and Headers/footers. However
for these features the backend is mostly in place, we do need people to go
to the work of constructing nice dialogs/ front ends.

Plus of course we have to finish the Lists dialog.

There will be a fair amount of tweaking of the layout code to get
cutting/pasting/undoing of section breaks and headers/footers working
correctly though. I think this will directly impact any rewrite you do of
the findpointcoords mess. In particular we should be able to directly
enter text into the header/footer region just like MS Word 97. However to
do so would require findpointcoords to look into the margin for
header/footer text and to map that to the correct region of the document.

So maybe the edit headers/footers dialog should wait until you've done a
rewrite on findpointcoords.

I'll resend a couple of emails describing my understand of the general Abi
structure and how headers/footers work.

Cheers

Martin