Re: Thai

Subject: Re: Thai
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 11:41:11 CST

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Kevin Vajk wrote:

> OK, I'm back and trying to get abiword to play nice with thai fonts.
> This is on Linux, by the way, on an old Redhat 6.0 system. (Soon
> to be upgraded to a newer release. Hooray!)
>
> If I set LANG=th_TH, abiword coredumps, since iconv_open() is not
> working. I found that with LANG=tis620, it works. (Note that
> LANG=th_TH.tis620 does *not* work.) This isn't pretty, but I expect
> it's more of an OS issue than an abiword issue.

 I think you should add a line
th_TH.tis620 tis620
 to /usr/share/locale/locale.alias and you'll be able to use
 LANG=th_TH.tis620. I think it's required procedure - otherwise AW won't be
able to guess what set of translated messages to use.

> Anyhow, so now my fonts are under fonts/tis620/, and it seems to be
> working great. I haven't done any import/export tests yet, though.
> Unfortunately, I don't have a windows box with MS-Word to play with.
> Sometime soon, I'd like to start trying to translate a few of the
> menus. (I'd also like to get the correct "th_TH" locale working.)
>
> But I'd like to throw out an idea for a different way of handling
> fonts...
>
> Using the locale for menu items is great, but I don't see why we
> need to be tied to just one foreign language character set. (For
> example, what if I want my menu items in english, but I want to
> write a document containing english, thai, and chinese?) What I
> think we ought to do is make *every* font directory under fonts/
> available to the user, regardless of locale. Does this seem like
> a sensible idea?

 I think that loading several fonts from various subdirs will be easily doable
(just 20 lines of code). But first we need support for different languages in
AW. Until this is done, it would be useless to make to load fonts from all
subdirectories.

> - Kevin Vajk
> <kvajk@ricochet.net>

 Best regards,