Re: More Bidi patch comments - everybody please read

Subject: Re: More Bidi patch comments - everybody please read
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 09:12:44 CST

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

[With regards to enabling bidirectional stuff by default]

> I would be for, but I cannot judge the performance loss, my
> machine is too fast, and the BiDi processing does adds quite a bit
> of overhead.

Is it not possible to fast path the case where we are not
using bidirectionaly support? I mean we aren't going to
distribute two binaries for every platform one with bidirectional
support and one without, so we might as well enable the
support in the mainstream build and then work to make it
as fast and as efficient as possible. If this means doing
some tests up front to determine if bidirectional support
is needed so later we can test ad skip code, so be it.

Thomas