Re: multi-lingual support under Unix

Subject: Re: multi-lingual support under Unix
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 08:32:42 CST

Thanks Karl, I understand much better now what you mean. I think
our problem here is that we (or just I :)) have not separated two
distinct issues, that of language as a property of the text, and that
of localisation. There are quite clearly lot of other things that need
to be localised than the language of the menus.

The tricky bit is the interaction of the localisation with the text
language settings; you are quite right, I would want my bibliography
sorted based on my locale, but then to sort a Hebrew table in an
English doc, based on Hebrew rules, I will need some means of
manually overriding the default. This is I think better than applying
automatically sorting rules based on the language of the text, and
the same probably applies across the board; treat the document on
the basis of the locale by default, but give the user a chance to
overwrite this. It would then seem that language as a property of
the text would infact be used automatically pretty much only by the
spellchecker (and proably the smart quotes).

Tomas