Re: makewrapper.sh patch

Subject: Re: makewrapper.sh patch
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 13:10:04 CST

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> You seem to be forgetting that unix is multiuser system, and can be used by a
> lot of users simulatenously. Consider a server at the university with a lot of
> foreign students, and that computers are all diskless and run AW via NFS from
> the server. If AW will behave as you suggest, every user will get ALL fonts
> installed in their comboboxes - and it that case (provided a lot of
> locale-specific subdirs are present) EACH user will get a dozen of Helvetica
> in their font combobox. Please think admin-wise, not user-wise. We are not MS
> or Corel to be so stupid.

Isn't that already the case for all the other applications which
know how to use system-wide fonts? And the fonts ought to have
names like "Helvitica", "Helvitica (thai)", "Helvitica (Lao)", etc,
right?

> You'll just have to set $LANG to something corresponding to Thai, and set
> $LC_MESSAGES to "en", and of course configure your X server to accept Thai
> character. Please don't invent the wheel.

I still don't understand. If I want to write a document containing
English, Thai, and Lao, how is this going to work?

> But I think we can solve all our problems by prefixing all font names we ship
> with Abi - i.e. instead of
> -AbiSource-Arial-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
> we call them
> -AbiSource-AbiArial-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
> So those stupid Qt-based apps won't use our scalable fonts, and AW, when
> reading the list of fonts, will just strip "Abi" prefix, getting "normal" font
> names ("Arial" in this case).

Having abiword step on KDE applications isn't good. Nobody's
objected to re-naming our fonts this way yet, have they?

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>