Re: multi-lingual support under Unix

Subject: Re: multi-lingual support under Unix
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 13:01:42 CST

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Can I pick your brains on this? What I need is to be able to
> transparently switch the keyboard from say English to Russian in a
> middle of the sentence, type couple of words, and then switch
> back to English; I have not got a clue how I can accomplish this
> under X.

xmodmap is the underlying magic.

Are you running Linux? If so, then recent versions of KDE and GNOME
have an applet (called "International Keyboard" or something similar)
which you can stick on your panel; clicking on this (or typing the
special hot-key) toggles your keyboard mapping. Look around in your
menus for this little tool, it's really easy.

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>