Re: multi-lingual support under Unix

Subject: Re: multi-lingual support under Unix
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 14:09:12 CST

> Are you running Linux? If so, then recent versions of KDE and GNOME
> have an applet (called "International Keyboard" or something similar)
> which you can stick on your panel; clicking on this (or typing the
> special hot-key) toggles your keyboard mapping. Look around in your
> menus for this little tool, it's really easy.

Yes, the KDE International keyboard is nice, except that it seems
to only produce 1byte characters, i.e., switching to Hebrew will
produce characters from iso8859-8, not the Unicode values which
are 2-bytes. I have tried my best to get this working, even fidling
with the contents of the kibd files but with no result and the
documentation is very poor in this respect. If you know how to get
this working, please let me know.

Tomas