Re: multi-lingual support under Unix

Subject: Re: multi-lingual support under Unix
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 08:32:42 CST

> > What we will need is some kind of keyboard switching mechanism
> > that would allow to translate keyboard input into appropriate
> > unicode values based on a language/keyboard the user chooses.
> > Whether this should be done using calls to the system/Xserver, or
> > whether we should build it all into AbiWord I am not entirely sure,
> > but even building from scratch should not be too complicated (I will
> > look into this).
>
> User has just to configure X server properly - no special means from AW
> needed.

Can I pick your brains on this? What I need is to be able to
transparently switch the keyboard from say English to Russian in a
middle of the sentence, type couple of words, and then switch
back to English; I have not got a clue how I can accomplish this
under X.

> Printing TTF fonts is not a problem under Unix at all. If ghostscript is
> used, than AW can include a TTF font in the .ps being generated (Postscript
> standard describes all details), or even don't include font body if that font
> is registered in Ghostscript Fontmap (that's more preferred apporach). The
> later is how CJK text is printed under unix on non-gnome build.
>
> So, there are no printing-specific and font-specific problems at all
> (including printing of TTFs). All of them can be solved in a couple of days.

I am not sure we mean the same thing when we speak of TTF
fonts; I have in mind ttf fonts that live in on the Windows side of my
computer and are used by my Windows applications. So far, I have
not been able to find any Linux wordprocessor that could actually
print documents using these; if we could AW able to do this, it
would be really great.

with regards

Tomas