RE: iconv question

Subject: RE: iconv question
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 10:03:29 CST

> I see that iconv is a portable implementation of a text encoding converter.
> On Mac OS, shouldn't we attempt to write the iconv API on top of Apple's
> Text Encoding Converter OS Services, which support Unicode among others?

I think that there should be some UT_xxx() functions that deals with conversions. This could then be implemented with iconv (on glibc 2.1) or libiconv or "Apple's Text Encoding Converter OS Services" or WinNT Unicode support.

I used libiconv, since on Win95/98 there is no API for it and for Linux and others there is iconv in the glibc. Right now iconv is used only in spellcheck and Win32 keyboard input. wv has its own mini iconv support. I (or someone faster) will make those UT_xxx() functions, and then it will be easy to use all over the code.

--hb