iconv question (was Re: commit--Now Mac compiles...Again!)

Subject: iconv question (was Re: commit--Now Mac compiles...Again!)
From: Scott Kovner (kovner@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 12:09:22 CST

I see that iconv is a portable implementation of a text encoding converter.
On Mac OS, shouldn't we attempt to write the iconv API on top of Apple's
Text Encoding Converter OS Services, which support Unicode among others?

on 2/5/00 7:15 AM, Henrik Berg at henrik@lansen.se wrote:

>> ap_MacApp.cpp: Removed reference to spell check. Spell check code doesn't
>> compile anymore, since someone has made it depend on iconv (Is there iconv
>> for Mac?)
>
> Yes, it's libiconv. It's in the CVS just like libpng, "cvs checkout libiconv"
> should get it for you. There should be (I think?) a makefile in:
>
> abi/src/config/require/mac/Makefile
>
> but there is no directory and no makefile. How does zlib and libpng work on
> Mac? Look in any of the other makefiles to get a clue.
>
> To compile libiconv you don't realy have to have a working autoconf (creates
> libiconv.h and config.h), but if you have that's probebly the fastest.
>
> Bruno Haible (author of libiconv) have not compiled it on Mac, but it's so
> simple code that it should not be any problem. Please mail him (see readme)
> with your success, so he knows it works on another platform.
>
> Good luck!
> --hb

Scott Kovner | "The big boys, they all got computers."
kovner@austin.rr.com | --Don Henley