Re: Development of Abiword for MacOS X ?

Subject: Re: Development of Abiword for MacOS X ?
From: Jeffrey J Barbose (barbose@howland.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 10:38:39 CST

Except for word-count stuff, i fail to see where a slight speed hit
makes much of a difference in a word processor.

Beyond that, I think in making a non-Carbon app, attention should at
least be paid to where things will have to be rewritten anyhow.

I also think that targeting 8.1 as a minimum is NOT an elitist statement.

At 10:04 AM +0100 2/8/00, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>According to Jeffrey J Barbose <barbose@howland.com>:
>>
>> i might take this one step further and just make it Carbon-compliant
>> from the start. As you said, Carbon IS the Mac APIs, minus some of
>> the very low level stuff.
>
>No.
>
>I think we should do both a MacOS Classic and a Carbon version. It is not a
>hard task to do both, and classic API would be faster on non MacOS X systems
>(they will still be around for years).
>
>But lets get a MacOS version running.
>
>Hub

"here lies a toppled god, his fall was not a small one.
  we did but build his pedestal, a narrow and a tall one."
		- Frank Herbert
Jeffrey J Barbose, President, HowLand Software

(c) Copyright 2000. All rights reserved. The body of this message may not be reproduced without prior permission except in direct replies via USENET or email.