Re: Bizarre PNG-related startup bug

Subject: Re: Bizarre PNG-related startup bug
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 12:04:36 CST

Nathan Thompson-Amato wrote:
> The last couple Abisuite RPMs (0.7.7 and 0.7.8) crash before the splash
> screen on my machine (Red Hat 6.0 with lots of updates). Running gdb on
> the 0.7.7 and 0.7.8 executables reveals identical crashes under
> UT_PNG_getDimensions in the PNG library:
>
> #0 0x80a19b3 in signedHiWord ()
> #1 0x40033b78 in png_read_data ()
> #2 0x4003228e in png_read_info ()
> #3 0x80a1a48 in UT_PNG_getDimensions ()
> #4 0x808a7c6 in AP_UnixApp::_showSplash ()
> #5 0x808aaba in AP_UnixApp::main ()
> #6 0x808990b in main ()
>
> I'd suspect something wrong with the PNG lib, but (1) compiling abiword
> myself yields a usable executable, and (2) I just reinstalled the libpng
> and zlib RPMs with no effect. If anybody has an idea as to what's going
> wrong, I'd love to hear it.

I can't tell much from the backtrace, but could you tell me which
version of the PNG libraries you have installed? "rpm -qa |grep png"
should give the packages and versions. It's possible you have an update
to libpng that breaks our link to it. Now that I look at our Red Hat
build host, this seems quite likely (it's using an OLD libpng,
1.0.1-3). I'll try to get this fixed in future releases.

--
Shaw Terwilliger