Re: Release Practices

Subject: Re: Release Practices
From: Bryan Prusha (bryanp@wolfram.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 14:01:07 CST

At 12:37 -0600 2/8/00, Robert Sievers wrote:
>At 12:18 PM 2/8/00 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>>On Tue, 08 Feb 2000, Robert Sievers wrote:
>>>I was waiting on integration of the file conversion patch. I figured some
>>>good testing would include dogfooding the --to html option on our .abw
>>>documentation. I am not sure what order Shaw intends to get the
>>>outstanding patches worked in.
>>
>>Dogfooding? What's that? That cracked me up.
>

>I am not sure who coined the term, but it has to do with how you would QA
>dogfood. At some point, you have to find a hungry dog and get his reaction.
>
>So AbiWord will soon have a --to option available. A good way to test it
>would be by finding someone hungry to do some file conversions. If it
>tastes good, let's can it.
>
>Robert Sievers
>Open Source Evangelist

        The most recent, high visiblity place I've heard it used was at
Steve Jobs' keynote at WWDC last year. To prove Apple was going to fully
support both it's Carbon and Cocoa APIs they would "eat their own dogfood".
That is use Carbon and Cocoa throught out their software product line.

     Bryan Prusha Wolfram Research, Inc.
          Coding is life. The rest is just 1's and 0's.