Re: need debating points

Subject: Re: need debating points
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 11:06:30 CST

At 11:23 PM 2/8/00 -0800, crawford@goingware.com wrote:
>So my fiance was perfectly horrified when I suggested that I do this as an
open
>source project. Actually what I want to do is free software - if I open
source it at
>all it will be copylefted; I have no intention of giving away code that
people can
>use for proprietary products.
>
>I personally have all kinds of good reasons for doing this, reasons that
don't make
>a bit of sense to my fiance. What can I say to her? It's important to be
concrete.
> References to URL's and open source/free software commercial success
stories
>are also very appropriate.

There are over a hundred people on this list that could talk up a storm on
this topic. It's a conversation we have all had a million times, and I am
not how many people want to have it again, so here is my suggestion.

Go get the book "Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution".
It's a conglomeration of articles from a practically everyone who is anyone
in the Open Source movement. I would start with the chapter by Michael
Tiemann.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist