Re: factors to consider for the Mac port

Subject: Re: factors to consider for the Mac port
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 11:36:45 CST

According to Bryan Prusha <bryanp@wolfram.com>:

> the other, we just flip a switch and recompile. BTW, Apple just released
> yesterday their Carbon 1.0.2 SDK which inculdes stub and implementation
> libraries, updated Universal Headers, and Sample Code (even the new Aqua HI
> guidelines!). Everything you need to get coding w/ Carbon from MacOS 8.1
> and up.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/sdk/index.html

I fetch it (for some home project).

Last time I checked it, I found my program slower under MacOS 8.5 with
Carbon than without.
But Carbon is the MacOS X way to go.

> I believe we should strive to remain 100% compatible with the
> freely downloadable MPW. I am assuming some amount of money must be payed
> out to get PowerPlant from MetroWerks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If we use raw Carbon or Classic API, we don't need PowerPlant. I think that
we should make both MPW and CodeWarrior available.

Juste remember that for MacOS 8.x, Carbon is NOT installed by default, and
distributing it may require a licence. That why keeping both a Classic and
Carbon target IS a good idea.

> >4. Code wins.
> >==============
>
> I intend to write all my Mac specific code with Apple's openly
> published Classic and Carbon APIs.

Nice. I agree with this strategy.

While I'm on the MacOS topic, I a couple of thought about it:

-we should find a way to generate MacOS resources for strings. Making STR#
resource from all the LabelSet and .strings files shouldn't be that hard. In
fact I only think about making a .r resource generator to be parsed by Rez
after.

-same for any graphics (like ./src/wp/ap/xp/ToolbarIcons/*.xpm for toolbars)
to icon resources (then parsed again by Rez).

Both require developping a specific tool but this would help maintaining
MacOS version and all its translations.

For the setup (that can come later as installing a Mac program is often
easy), we can use Apple's Installer that is Free.

Hub