building on new platform

Subject: building on new platform
From: Brian K. White (linut@squonk.net)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 05:00:38 CST

Hello,
  I am trying to build abiword on SCO Open Server 5.0.5 using gcc-2.95.2,
gnu make, and bash-2.03 for the shell.

yes I created a sco.mk, a /pkg/sco/ and added a paragraph to abi_defs.mk

the build is failing and I can't figure out why. It seems to be failing to
"see" include files that it should be seeing. Any clues about this?

Here's one example from a log collected by doing
make >makelog.txt 2>&1
and what I managed to figure out about the error.

----snip---- (first real error in makelog.txt)
xap_UnixFontManager.cpp:
xap_UnixFontManager.cpp: In method `void
XAP_UnixFontManager::_allocateThisFont(
const char *, const char
*)':
xap_UnixFontManager.cpp:301: implicit declaration of function `int
strdup(...)'
xap_UnixFontManager.cpp:301: initialization to `char *' from `int' lacks a
cast
xap_UnixFontManager.cpp:338: assignment to `char *' from `int' lacks a
cast
make[4]: *** [/usr/src/abi/src/SCO_3.2_i386_OBJ/obj/xap_UnixFontManager.o]
Error

1
----snip----

ok see the "implicit declaration of strdup()" ?
on my system, "man strdup" says:

  Syntax
  ======

  cc . . . -lc

  #include <string.h>
  char *strdup (s1)
  char *s1;

in xap_UnixFontManager.cpp there already is #include <string.h>

and yes in my systems default include path "/usr/include" there is string.h
and in it is defined strdup as a char.

I compile a lot of things on this box, so I don't think it is anything
really obvious or major like not having make or flex or some other tool
installed.

Also, unrelated to above, several of the makefiles had "tar -cf" and "tar
-xf" in them. I don't know if "tar cf" and "tar xf" is universally portable
but "tar -*" does not work with SCO's tar.
gnu tar is available on sco, so you should probably either remove the dashes
from the makefiles, or note somewhere in the docs that gnu tar may be
required on some platforms

There is also hard-coded paths scattered in the makefiles that cater to
Xfree86 for the X libraries and X includes. Either these should be made to
be defineable in the platform makefile, or the docs should say Xfree86 is
required. (I have it, so it wasn't a problem for me)

Rather than attach a big log file, I'll just mention a url:
http://www.squonk.net/users/linut/sco/abiword-make-log.txt

as you can see I removed -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic
to get a more manageable amount of text to scan.
if they are important I'll put them back

thanks

--
Brian K. White                   http://www.squonk.net/users/linut
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani