Re: factors to consider for the Mac port

Subject: Re: factors to consider for the Mac port
From: DeRobertis (derobert@erols.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 02:59:36 CST

At 4:50 PM -0800 on 2/8/00, Paul Rohr wrote:

>1. Choose solutions which favor people's existing hardware.
>There is a very large existing installed base of Mac users who'd love to
>have great word processor file format compatibility in a lightweight
>product. Of those users, what combination of hardware/OS level do you think
>is typical for the people who need AbiWord the *most*? Are they running
>spiffy new blazing-fast boxes with the latest Carbon beta? Are they iMac
>users who are dissatisfied with whatever Works version was preinstalled? Or
>are they still stuck with a 7.5 box from four years ago?

Considering Apple says MacOS X won't work on anything less than a G3,
there is a very significant installed base for MacOS's before X. Since
not much has changed since System 7, I'd say use that. System 6 is
probably lacking some serious features, and I don't believe any
hardware is stranded by 7 (unlike 8 and 9).

>2. Try to hold down the cost for additional Mac developers.

It should be pointed out that MPW is distributed by Apple for free from
their website, unlike CW which costs $$$. Plus, MPW has makefiles.

>3. Avoid legal minefields.
>If there are other reasons to go with PowerPlant, then someone will need to
>do the legwork to make sure that the license on those sources is
>sufficiently GPL-compatible.

I've asked MetroWerks for a copy.