Re: factors to consider for the Mac port

Subject: Re: factors to consider for the Mac port
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 03:19:31 CST

According to Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com>:

> >-we should find a way to generate MacOS resources for strings.
>
> Why? Keeping them just as they are is a MUCH safer way to go for
> making sure the Mac port always matches the others. Also, it's makes the
> localizations issues easier!

Just because having separate file is:

a) not in the Mac philosophy
b) not a good idea when it comes to user support as a separate file can be
moved along.

If I remember AbiWord is not a tool target exclusively to geeks, but rather
targetted to Joe Doe users.

> >-same for any graphics (like ./src/wp/ap/xp/ToolbarIcons/*.xpm for toolbars)
> >to icon resources (then parsed again by Rez).
>
> Same as above - there is no good reason to move this stuff to
> resources.

Same as above.

In both case I talk about a solution that would automatically generates the
resources from the standard file used on the other platforms.

Hub