Re: menus and languages

Subject: Re: menus and languages
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 11:41:09 CST

sam th wrote:

> As Mr Kerr seems no longer to be with us on the list, I decided to try to
> work on the word count POW. However, in creating the new menus suggested
> by Shaw in the original message, I discovered that in order to compile the
> menu code, it is neccessary to have all the translations match the overall
> menu layout. In order to get mine to compile, I commented out all the
> other languages, but this is not a viable solution. Thus, I wonder if
> anyone has a strategey for compiling without updating all the other
> translations, or alternatively would like to translate the new menu items.
> I would be happy to do the coding involved, if someone in the know would
> explain to me what would need to be done.

Use-gettext (tm).

I don't understand why we are not using gettext. If the answer is...
"portability issues", it's good to know that gettext works in unix AND
in windows --and I think that a BeOS version should be something fairly
trivial to do--. If the answer is... "nobody has come with a nice
patch", then I can understand it :)

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e-mail: cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr