Re: factors to consider for the Mac port

Subject: Re: factors to consider for the Mac port
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 11:38:04 CST

Bryan Prusha wrote:
> I agree. I complained earlier about installers throwing
> files/extensions/DLLs throughout your system, but I did leave room for
> application layouts. I think keeping localization in a seperate file is
> quite practical. In order to update the translation or grab another
> localization all that is needed to be done is to grab a single file and
> place it in the layout. Users would never have to muck about in the
> resoureces and installers are not necessary, only a ReadMe with a couple
> simple file placement issues. For that matter, Carbon packages are
> designed to completely abstract away the concept of application w/ layout
> to the user. A package is basically a folder with application and layout
> within, except when the user double clicks the package, it behaves as the
> application would normally and the user never knows that it's not an
> application that "just works". Cool, huh?

I've been following this thread, but I'm confused as to what an application
"layout" is. I use a Mac every day (I'm using it now), but it's never
run MacOS, so you can probably tell I'm unfamiliar with some of these
concepts. Is a "layout" just a directory with a defined structure of
sub-files and sub-directories, that the application can count on for
application data (templates, documents, images, etc.)? Or is it something
entirely different?

--
Shaw Terwilliger