Re: factors to consider for the Mac port

Subject: Re: factors to consider for the Mac port
From: Bryan Prusha (bryanp@wolfram.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 13:00:08 CST

>I've been following this thread, but I'm confused as to what an application
>"layout" is. I use a Mac every day (I'm using it now), but it's never
>run MacOS, so you can probably tell I'm unfamiliar with some of these
>concepts. Is a "layout" just a directory with a defined structure of
>sub-files and sub-directories, that the application can count on for
>application data (templates, documents, images, etc.)? Or is it something
>entirely different?
>
>--
>Shaw Terwilliger

        Yes, this is the basic idea of a layout, a support tree of
directories and files. On many Mac programs, yes, the resource fork
handles much of this functionality, but I believe that only goes so far.
For Mac only applications, they're great, but for a cross platform
application, I believe it's more important to be able to share as much code
and as many support files as possible w/o completely destroying platform
specific conventions. A layout can be simply a single directory placed
next to the actual app. The user need never care what actually exists
within that folder, just that they should always be moved together.

     Bryan Prusha Wolfram Research, Inc.
          Coding is life. The rest is just 1's and 0's.