Re: factors to consider for the Mac port

Subject: Re: factors to consider for the Mac port
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 13:17:44 CST

> > If we were using MPW for our build system (and someone built the
> > tool) then you're right. But right now, we're using CodeWarrior so it's
> > not an option...
>
> MPW is available free of charge. So why not making the *build* environment
> for AbiWord.

I imagine most Mac developers will have Metrowerks and not MPW, so I think
Metrowerks projects files are vital (as many developers probably wouldn't
contribute if they had to go get MPW). Is there any reason why we could
not have makefiles for MPW in addition, however?

> > It's no different
> > than any other kind of plug-in, AND it means less platform-centric code we
> > have to worry about...
>
> Nope. It is *different*. You have to carry several items, and this is NOT
> IMHO a good solution.

If someone wants to provide the code/scripts to generate the resources
from the normal files, I'm sure everyone would be happy. Ideally, these
would work for multiple build environments (ie. MPW and Metrowerks).

However, I'm not sure this is really critical, yet. While it may not be a
good solution to have a directory containing the various files, it should
work for now, and there are more pressing tasks for the Mac port (running,
for instance).

Justin