Re: Gnome-ified menus

Subject: Re: Gnome-ified menus
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 17:17:17 CST

At 05:34 PM 2/10/00 -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>Applying a gnome-patch like what I suggest would
>probably lead to an inconsistant build across platforms, since menus
>would have to be edited in more than one place for any given change - be
>it in layouts, callbacks, strings, etc...

You're right. Maintaining the same information in more than one place would
be a Bad Thing. Very.

The whole point of having a single set of this information in XP code is
that it only has to be touched once for all platforms and translations. Any
remaining magic gets handled in platform-specific EV code.

>I don't see a workaround for
>this - other than maybe adding another field to the set returned from
>m_pUnixApp->getMenuActionSet() to handle Gnome'ish pixmaps.

The effect you want to achieve may not be all that difficult. You should
probably get in touch with Joaquin and see what approach he's taking:

>This doesn't just have to be a gnome-patch either.
>You'd just need to include the appropriate icons from Gnome(or wherever)
>in your release versions, which might not be so bad since something like
>that is already being used for AbiWord's toolbars on Win32.

Yep. So long as you can use the same *size* images for both the toolbar and
menus, I suspect a little judicious refactoring of the relevant tables would
do the trick. I'd just hate to see us bloating the binary with two
identical copies of the same image (once for the toolbar and once for the
menu). Perhaps we need three tables here, rather than just two.

Paul