AbiWord peculiarities

Subject: AbiWord peculiarities
Jeff.Jensen@utah.edu
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 14:02:26 CST

Hello. Originally, I posted the message below to abiword-user; however,
Robert Sievers asked me to re-post it to this list. (I'm an AbiWord newbie
and I'm not a GUI programmer, so please excuse the awkwardness of my
description below.)

I've installed the statically-linked version of AbiWord 0.7.8 on my AMD
K6-II/350MHz running Mandrake 7.0 and I've observed the following
peculiarities when running the program either under KDE or GNOME:

When I start up the program, a grey blank phantom window appears along
the right side of the temporary About AbiWord window. The only thing
I've found by trial and error to remove the phantom window is to move
another type of window over it (xterm, netscape, etc.). However, this
can also cause the phantom window to resize instead of disappear.

Another phantom window appears if I resize the document window to a size
that doesn't include the full horizontal ruler. The only thing that
changes the size of this phantom window is to horizontally resize the
document window to include the full horizontal ruler.

Another peculiarity is that most of the time when I scroll through pages
of a multi-paged document, the vertical ruler for all but the page where
my cursor is located has totally useless markings (either all 10's or
only the tick marks).

Any suggestions on what I should do to avoid the peculiarities? (By the
way, my computer has a Mandrake-supported graphics card and monitor.)

Thanks.

Jeff Jensen
University of Utah
jeff.jensen@utah.edu