Re: ZAP: POW -- make translated dialogs fit (step 1)

Subject: Re: ZAP: POW -- make translated dialogs fit (step 1)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 18:15:45 CST

At 10:08 PM 2/15/00 -0700, Owen Stenseth wrote:
>OK I now have a set of results up on my webiste at:
>
> http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stenseth/strings.html
>
>Feedback is welcome. I think that a summary table with colour indicating
>if a string has been translated or not should be added near the top.

Owen,

This is really cool. Thanks. Here's some quick feedback:

1. Sorting. The main body of this will probably be easier to read if you
sort the DLG_ symbols so that they all group together.

2. High-bit characters. It looks like you're recognizing most of the
high-bit Latin-1 characters, which helps make the length calculations more
accurate. However, the FiFI strings are winding up a lot longer for some
reason.

3. Ampersands. Many of the translated strings (should) have ampersands in
them (via the usual "&" encoding). Are they getting omitted from your
code on purpose?

4. Duplicate EnUS tables. In the detail section, it looks like you've got
two EnUS entries, many of which have missing strings. This doesn't entirely
make sense, because we define each string with an EnUS default in the code.
Is it possible that you've got an old EnUS.strings file (which was produced
by -dumpstrings)?

5. That idea of a summary table up top sounds interesting. Have you
thought about dumping out a list of *untranslated* strings for each language
instead?

All in all, though, this is a very very promising start. I suspect that Bob
(our designated PERL guy) will be in touch with you privately any day now to
see if he can get a copy of your code to play with.

Paul