Re: AbiSource, Ispell, Aspell and beyond...

Subject: Re: AbiSource, Ispell, Aspell and beyond...
From: Darren O. Benham (gecko@benham.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 01:12:28 CST

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 01:23:23AM -0500, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> For those of you who don't know I am the developer of Aspell
> (http://aspell.sourceforge.net). The spell checker that comes up with
> MUCH better suggestions than ispell -- or just about any other spell
> checker I have seen -- but uses templates which are taboo according to
> Darren O. Benham. Since integrating Aspell was out of the question
> Justin Bradford was contemplating using the basic Aspell algorithm.
Excuse me... It's not like *I* have any say. If I've said anything about
templates, I was repeating what I was told from the Abiword people,
themselves.

> One last note. What is the big deal of the ebdian problem? Ispell
> hash tables are machine specific just like the machine code is. Thus,
> the hash table should be compiled just as if the source code would be.
Abiword ships with it's own ispell dictionary. That ispell dictionary is
made on an i386 arch. That makes the endianess an issue.

> A alpha version of the generic spell checker library as well as the
> aspell module should be available within a month or so.
Having attempted to clear my name... I applaud the this move... and if I can
help, I will.