Re: Make file error

Subject: Re: Make file error
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 22:06:55 CST

At 07:22 PM 2/23/00 -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
>>Also while I'm at it, MAKE crashes a bit...
>
>Bob had run into some similar problems on 98, where the cygwin version of
>gmake was running out of processes. IIRC, he was able to work around this
>by turning off MapCache or something. YMMV.

Yea, it took me a while to figure this out. If you go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VMM\ and create an
entry MapCache of value "00", Windows disables memory swapping of
processes. There is a KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/readme/98/w98mtsutiltxt.asp?LNG
=ENG&SA=ALLKB&FR=0#MAPC_OFF

Whether this works for you I cannot say, but I haven't crashed since I did
this about a week ago, and I have build 3 times since then.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist