FAQ -- what do I port?

Subject: FAQ -- what do I port?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 13:50:53 CST

At 11:32 PM 2/22/00 -0600, Bryan Prusha wrote:
>Is there anything besides the code
>for other platforms and comments which describes what is supposed to happen
>in each of these functions I need to implement or should I just ask the
>list? I assume there isn't, but I'd hate to miss something blindingly
>obvious. Thanx again!

Most of your initial porting work will be to get the framework up and
running. You're quite right that the code for other platforms is definitely
your best bet. Beyond that, there are four potential sources of information
for you, none of which are all that overwhelming:

1. Jeff did stick some documentation in the abi/docs portion of the tree,
but it's fairly skimpy.

2. Another option would be to troll through really old email archives to
see discussions from when the BeOS port got started, but I'm not sure that's
worth the bother.

3. For a 30,000-foot perspective, it might be worth a quick skim through
the talk I did on XP development, especially the following range of slides:

  http://www.abisource.com/talks/lwce2000ny/sld016.phtml
  http://www.abisource.com/talks/lwce2000ny/sld032.phtml

In particular, the following picture isn't easy to infer from a quick look
at the code, but it's *totally* obvious once you've seen it:

  http://www.abisource.com/talks/lwce2000ny/sld027.phtml

4. For a little more drill-down, be sure to review the UI matrix, and let
Bob know each cell that should be changed from red to purple.

  http://www.abisource.com/ui_matrix.html

It would be convenient if we had a suggested order for which cells to tackle
in what order, but it's been so long since I was involved in a new port that
link failures are probably your best guide.

Since Thomas has been ripping through the QNX port recently, he'd probably
have some excellent suggestions about a practical implementation order.

Paul