grep question

Subject: grep question
From: Daniel Weber (dweber1@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 11:11:40 CST

I want to search the source tree for certain strings, but only certain
types of files (e.g. cpp or h files). grep has a --recursive option,
but it doesn't allow you to specify a file extension with that option,
so it searches all files, including the obj and binary files which takes
forever. Is there a way to limit a grep search to an extension, or do I
have to write a tiny shell script that does it? This is such a common
thing to do, I'm sure I'm missing something....

This is on linux, BTW.