Re: Non-latin encoding and languages

Subject: Re: Non-latin encoding and languages
From: Michl Ladislav (xmichl03@stud.fee.vutbr.cz)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 03:56:52 CST

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Vadim Frolov wrote:

> I have little experience with Abi Word and I can be wrong, but I see
> a potential problem for non-latin (in my case - cyrillic) encoding.

rem: there is not only iso-8859-1 which AW uses as default

> Current encoding model of Abi Word uses 1 encoding scheme for one l
> language,
> but, for example, for russian (cyrillic) language:
> - unix platforms uses KOI8-R code page
> - ms windows - 1251 code page
> - DOS and OS/2 - CP 866.
> When I try to open MS Word *.doc files in Abi Word under X11R6 (FreeBSD
> 3.4), I
> see the abracadabra... (in current version 0.7.8 AbiWord not convert
> CP1251 to KOI8-R)
> May be it's a problem for cyrillic language _only_ but I'm not sure....

Hi all,
so be sure. I was posting mail with the same thing when your mail arrived.
For czech language situation looks like follows
- UNIX iso-8859-2
- M$-Windows cp1250
For czech strigs is solution quite simple: add support to wv for
iso-8859-2 (il2), but menus and toolbars strings are compiled in. Zbynek
Miksa provided them in il2 which work fine on my linux platform, but now I
am testing Win32 version and czech il2 letters in menu are wrong.
Is there some simple solution or i missed something ?

Thanks for answer.