Non-latin encoding and languages

Subject: Non-latin encoding and languages
From: Vadim Frolov (vadim@krug.uch.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 03:25:33 CST

Hello All!
I have little experience with Abi Word and I can be wrong, but I see
a potential problem for non-latin (in my case - cyrillic) encoding.
Current encoding model of Abi Word uses 1 encoding scheme for one l
language,
but, for example, for russian (cyrillic) language:
- unix platforms uses KOI8-R code page
- ms windows - 1251 code page
- DOS and OS/2 - CP 866.
When I try to open MS Word *.doc files in Abi Word under X11R6 (FreeBSD
3.4), I
see the abracadabra... (in current version 0.7.8 AbiWord not convert
CP1251 to KOI8-R)
May be it's a problem for cyrillic language _only_ but I'm not sure....