Re: Text boxes in Linux

Subject: Re: Text boxes in Linux
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 17:03:58 CST

Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> > This isn't to say X is always slow. Well supported cards (like the
> > Matrox Millennium and G?00 series) are very fast even on machines
> > considered somewhat slow today (Pentium Pro).
>
> FWIW, I have heard it alleged that the XFree86 v4.0 drivers for
> a lot of recent cards like that Gx00 are a lot better optimised
> than those in 3.x.y.

I would believe that. The Matrox drivers have been primarily run
as extensions to the SVGA server (I'm using one right now, and have
one at home). I always thought this was just because the Matrox cards
were designed to run fast, without complex tricks, and stuck pretty
close to the VGA standards. XFree 4.0 uses a much more modular driver
architecture, and the Matrox driver gurus probably got a chance to
go all-the-way writing new drivers. I only wish the XFree development
cycle was much more open.

--
Shaw Terwilliger