Re: Text boxes in Linux

Subject: Re: Text boxes in Linux
From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 17:39:42 CST

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 sterwill@abisource.com wrote:

> > FWIW, I have heard it alleged that the XFree86 v4.0 drivers for
> > a lot of recent cards like that Gx00 are a lot better optimised
> > than those in 3.x.y.
>
> I would believe that. The Matrox drivers have been primarily run as
> extensions to the SVGA server (I'm using one right now, and have one
> at home). I always thought this was just because the Matrox cards
> were designed to run fast, without complex tricks, and stuck pretty
> close to the VGA standards.

Unfortunately, VGA standards stop at 640x480x4bpp. I believe that
some drivers just got folded into the SVGA one because there was a
little better infrastructure to leverage.

> XFree 4.0 uses a much more modular driver architecture, and the Matrox
> driver gurus probably got a chance to go all-the-way writing new
> drivers. I only wish the XFree development cycle was much more open.

Actually, I'm fairly glad it isn't. It would only be another mailing
list I'd feel compelled to lurk on, occasionally promising (at least
to myself) that one day I'd contribute something useful :-)

Matthew.