Re: Text boxes in Linux

Subject: Re: Text boxes in Linux
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 00:13:06 CST

> > XFree 4.0 uses a much more modular driver architecture, and the Matrox
> > driver gurus probably got a chance to go all-the-way writing new
> > drivers. I only wish the XFree development cycle was much more open.
>
> Actually, I'm fairly glad it isn't. It would only be another mailing
> list I'd feel compelled to lurk on, occasionally promising (at least
> to myself) that one day I'd contribute something useful :-)

The list is actually pretty cool. There are a lot of "famous" people on
it. Even one of the original X developers, Jim Gettys, is there.

As for the closed development, I agree that it sucks, but they claim it's
necessary to 1) get hardware companies to open up specs/contribute code
earlier and 2) reduce time spent on support for betas and alphas.

If there are specific things you want to know about, I can ask around.

Justin