Re: [DEFINITELY OT] XFree (Re: Text boxes in Linux)

Subject: Re: [DEFINITELY OT] XFree (Re: Text boxes in Linux)
From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (bero@redhat.de)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 12:21:24 CST

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Justin Bradford wrote:

> Usually, the video card companies release source later, and this is one of
> the reasons XFree uses semi-closed development (or so it's claimed).

Not for real - if it were like that, at least the developers would have
write access to CVS, but it isn't the case. Only 3 or 4 people do, and
they apparently can't keep track of everything. A lot of important patches
didn't make it into 3.3.4 (that's why 3.3.5 was realeased only a few days
later), and 3.3.5 still doesn't have all of them (look at the Red Hat
Linux Source RPM to see some pretty obvious fixes that have been submitted
in time and didn't get in nevertheless).

> I noticed the person suggesting this
> was from RedHat, however, who could pull it off.

Please don't confuse two things. Just because I work for Red Hat doesn't
mean that all I say is Red Hat's opinion. Red Hat has no plans
whatsoever to fork XFree86. If XFree86 doesn't get at least a bit more
open, and the people in control keep ignoring important fixes, *I* and
*some other developers* may consider a fork (even if it's only to
show XFree86 what they're doing wrong - I'm all against duplicated
work). This is not a Red Hat project or anything.

LLaP
bero

--
Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
		-- Bill Gates, 1983