Re: i18n of abiword

Subject: Re: i18n of abiword
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 19:27:41 CST

At 05:28 PM 1/7/00 +0800, hj wrote:
>Abiword cannot display Chinese fonts on Linux. I find that abiword use
>gdk_font_load to load font. Abiword should use gdk_fontset_load to load
>fontset so it can display international text. Isn't it?

Changing that API call will probably help, but I suspect there's more work
than that to be done. We've done the underlying plumbing work so that all
document content is stored internally in Unicode, but there needs to be more
work on the following:

  - platform-specific input methods for entering non-Latin1 characters
  - drawing logic to map from Unicode characters to non-Unicode fonts

We'd love to have development help from anyone who understands these issues,
especially for languages like Chinese which most of us don't speak or read.

Paul