Re: Insert Date and Time patch

Subject: Re: Insert Date and Time patch
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 19:18:40 CST

Alexey,

Nice work! In the post-holiday confusion Shaw and I crossed wires about
who'd be handling your patch. Sorry about that.

Could you make a few quick changes before we apply this?

1. Minor API change. You've got the dialog exporting the result as
calculated *before* loading into the listbox (m_szCurrentDateTime). If
instead, you export the format string (InsertDateTimeFmts[i]) and let the
edit method do the strftime before inserting it, that would have two
benefits:

  - the time stamp would be more accurate
  - when we change fields to make them containers, it'll be a lot easier to
        make the "Update automatically" checkbox work

Don't get me wrong. What you've already got looks like it should work too,
this just helps us with future work.

2. Easier patch. Your patch will be easier to apply if you use the same
"diff -urN" syntax, but do it up at a higher-level directory. The r flag
makes it recursive, so you should be able to get the entire patch into one
file.

For example, the following command looks for diffs between two peer
directories, an original copy of the tree (from the most recent tar/zip
archive, or preferably from a current CVS view) and the one you've modified:

  cd my/edited/version/of/abi
  diff -urN ../abi.orig/src src -x CVS -x WIN32_4.0_i386_DBG > patch

I'm a little rusty on my diff/patch syntax, but something close to this
ought to generate a single patchfile which can be more easily applied.

Thanks,
Paul

PS: If anyone knows how to generate a patchfile directly from an up-to-date
CVS view using the "cvs diff" command, that'd be really cool. :-)

AFAIK, "cvs rdiff" and "cvs patch" are inappropriate, because they each
generate patches from different versions already stored in the repository,
when what would be nice is a way to generate the patch which corresponds to
your next cvs commit. The closest I've gotten so far is:

  cvs update
  cvs -q diff -u

But that's not quite it.