Re: Layout suggestion for AbiWord.

Subject: Re: Layout suggestion for AbiWord.
From: Logan Hall (warrior514@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 16:44:03 CST

ArcadePreserv Center wrote:

> I am just now sitting and writing a document using M$-Word-95.
>
> The reason I cant use AbiWord is actually only Lack of Headings
> numbering.
> (hint)
>
> Now, I prefere to se as much as possible of a page at a time, and I
> am very
> upset that the toolbars take up so much space at the top. At the
> side I jave
> lots of space due to the normal hight length ratio of a standard A4
> paper.

Having the toolbars at the top makes alot of sence for the USletter size of
paper that I use, so i can't agree totaly with you on this but, I can see where
it would be nice to have the tool bars be put on the sides. I would never use
the feature but I would guess that a good deal of people, certainly the ones
out side the us, would.

> I can in word (not in abiwird, hint again) move the toolbar to the
> left or
> right side, but then I loose the font dropdown and the paragraph
> type
> dropdown list, which are very essential.
>
> My suggestion for Abiword is the possibility to have the toolbar on
> the left
> side and the possibility to have it wide enough to fit the
> dropdowns. I cant
> see any reason why they could not be that wide, as I said the 4/3
> ratio of a
> screen can hold the paper on the right and a wide toolbar on the
> left.
>
> BTW: for the same reason as above, I would alse like the infobar at the
> bottom moveable to the suggested left side toolbar, and if possible also the
> menybar.

I have never noticed the info bar taking up that much room. I think that that
might be an un nessisary movement. Also what are the thoughts of the list on
moving the menu bar? I would be against it because it would seem totaly
illogical to me (Mac user, Linux user, if that makes a diffrence). Menu's
should be on the top i think.

> As a last thing, if the dragbar, or whatever it is called could be turned of
> the maximum vertical-size of the screen can be used for useful page layout
> view.

The dragbar? you mean the bar at the bottom of the window? On Linux you can
turn that off in your window maniger if you want.