Re: Insert Date and Time patch

Subject: Re: Insert Date and Time patch
From: Stephen Hack (shack@uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:42:59 CST

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 05:18:40PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> PS: If anyone knows how to generate a patchfile directly from an up-to-date
> CVS view using the "cvs diff" command, that'd be really cool. :-)
>
> AFAIK, "cvs rdiff" and "cvs patch" are inappropriate, because they each
> generate patches from different versions already stored in the repository,
> when what would be nice is a way to generate the patch which corresponds to
> your next cvs commit. The closest I've gotten so far is:
>
> cvs update
> cvs -q diff -u
>
> But that's not quite it.

I've used this syntax for a while and it works pretty well. The problem that
you come across is that when you add files, it will not include them into the
diffs. The --new-file option of gnu diff works, but does not ignore all the
CVS ignored files.

I can get around then (to move patches between diff you machines), my adding
the files into CVS, then diffs. The only works when you don't change lthe
makefiles yet.

-shack