Re: Insert Date and Time patch

Subject: Re: Insert Date and Time patch
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 22:48:48 CST

> PS: If anyone knows how to generate a patchfile directly from an up-to-date
> CVS view using the "cvs diff" command, that'd be really cool. :-)
>
> AFAIK, "cvs rdiff" and "cvs patch" are inappropriate, because they each
> generate patches from different versions already stored in the repository,
> when what would be nice is a way to generate the patch which corresponds to
> your next cvs commit. The closest I've gotten so far is:
>
> cvs update
> cvs -q diff -u
>
> But that's not quite it.

You want: cvs diff -uw
(the -q is just a quite flag, so it's optional)
It easiest to just put
diff -uw
in ~/.cvsrc, and then "cvs diff > mypatch" should be all you need to do.
While you are at it, I'd recommend adding:
cvs -z 3
update -Pd

The -Pd to update adds new/removes old directories automatically, and the
-z 3 enables automatic compression of the network transfers.

Justin