patches@abisource.com

Subject: patches@abisource.com
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 18:53:46 CST

These days I'm the one who usually handles patch submissions from people
who have either fixed a bug or added a feature. Currently, we ask
that these patches be sent to the abiword-dev mailing list, but because
of the nature of the list (and the discussions patches often create),
it would be much easier for me to receive patches at a special address,
in addition to the abiword-dev messages.

From now on, I'm asking that anyone who has patches for AbiWord please
send them to patches@abisource.com, and also to abiword-dev@abisource.com
(so that they're publically archived and can spark the same good discussions
that they currently do).

Sometimes when patch submissions are discussed, they result in follow-up
patches that happen to cover some of the same areas of code. Keeping some
versioning in the patch file name helps me keep them in order (so I know which
patches might conflict or outright supercede others). Right now this isn't a
big problem, and the numbering doesn't have to be anything fancy (a simple
serial number or a date+serial should be fine).

Also, just a reminder to anyone who's currently hacking on the source,
remember to update your CVS trees before you send a patch. If you're
working from a tarball release tree (like 0.7.7), your patch will
be applied much faster if you can work against the current CVS
repository contents. Doing the merge on your end (where the changes
are) is much easier (cvs does it for you) than me having to forward-port
changes to an older tree.

--
Shaw Terwilliger