Re: How to debug AbiWord in Linux?

Subject: Re: How to debug AbiWord in Linux?
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:06:52 CST

hj wrote:
> I typed "make ABI_OPT_DEBUG=1 ; make install ABI_OPT_DEBUG=1". Then a
> file "abi-0.7.7/src/Linux2.2.10_i386_DBG/bin/AbiWord_d" was created. I want
> debug "AbiWord_d" by Xemacs. Display an error dialog when I run "AbiWord_d"
> directly. I know I should invoke its wrapper shell script
> "AbiWord". How can I debug "AbiWord_d" by Xemacs?

Running AbiWord outside the wrapper script means you will need to set
two parameters manually. First, the environment variable ABISUTE_HOME
needs to be set to the directory where AbiWord has been once installed.
Usually this is something like /usr/share/abisuite (if done through RPM
or DEB) or /usr/local/AbiSuite (if done with "make install"). Using
bash, this would be "export ABISUITE_HOME=/usr/local/AbiSuite". C shell
would be "setenv ABISUITE_HOME /usr/local/AbiSuite".

Second, the path to AbiWord's fonts should be added to the X server's
font path. Something like "xset fp+ /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts" (or
"xset fp+ /usr/share/abisuite/fonts" for the RPM or DEB) will usually
do the trick.

After that, AbiWord can be run from within GDB (in XEmacs, if you desire--
that's how I do all my debugging) or straight from the command line.

If you do a lot of debugging, you can add the ABISUITE_HOME variable
to a login script, and permanantly add AbiWord's font directory to
your X server path. Then you should be able to run any AbiWord
binary from any location as needed.

--
Shaw Terwilliger