Re: Some of Word's fields

Subject: Re: Some of Word's fields
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 00:50:29 CST

At 05:03 PM 1/13/00 -0600, Justin Bradford wrote:
>Normally, it just outputs what is in the summary info. The new argument
>changes what is in the summary info. So, I imagine:
>> <field type=Comments>typed in by user</field>
>
>will work fine. When the user edits "typed in by user", it simply changes
>the summary info comments, too. Or that could be a switch, so that
>changing this field does not change the summary info, but instead becomes
>nothing more than a field with arbitrary user text. I can't imagine why
>that would be useful for someone, though. So do we need a switch, or
>should these fields just be linked to the summary info all the time?

I have no idea when either behavior would be useful, so just mimicking
Word's behavior would suit me fine. :-)

>Automatic ids would probably be confusing to the scripter. I don't think
>it would be a bad thing to force them to "name" any fields they want to
>reference.

My assumption was that some IDs might already *be* auto-generated (for
example, TOC entries or bookmarks or something), and thus might belong in a
separate namespace. However, I haven't looked.

>> I haven't delved into the details of any of these fields, but I'm guessing
>> that not all instances of say "bookmark" or "name" here should share the
>> same argument name.
>
>No, they're basically argument types. You have to specific a particular
>bookmark (this is what you're asking, right?)

Sorry. I did a bad job of asking the question. Let me try again.

In our hypothetical scripting language, the namespace for a particular
attribute is "clean" if, for example, field.id = "foo" for at most one field
instance. Depending on what type that field was, you might either have:

  bookmark.id = "foo"

or

  listitem.id = "foo"

The namespace for the id attribute is *not* clean if both listitems and
bookmarks can independently have a single item which shares the same id. In
that case, we'd want to use different attributes for each independent
namespace to avoid collisions like this.

Paul