Re: PATCH: Fix for printing symbols and variable width underlining.

Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix for printing symbols and variable width underlining.
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 02:01:16 CST

Martin Sevior wrote:
> This is a quick fix for the two non-Latin fonts current distributed with
> Abi. As abi gains more non-latin fonts we should implement a more general
> way of fixing this. Maybe checking to see if a given font is in the list of
> Latin fonts. If it is issue the LAT. If it isn't don't issue the LAT.

I know this makes it hard for patch submissions, but I committed a change
to CVS to put a "stroke" in the ML macro. Later it may need to be
surrounded with "gsave" and "grestore", but I can't think of any
context we would need to preserve through a line draw (underline, overline,
strikeout).

I want to hold on the Latin-1 patch to output "StandardSymL" and "Dingbats"
as non-Latin-1 character sets. I think the proper solution is along
the lines of (1) changing the fonts we ship to use proper encoding fields
in the X Logical Font Descriptor (XLFD) and (2) check that field when
writing PostScript fonts. Step (1) is just changing the fonts.dir we ship.
(2) is just a few lines of code once we fix some other things.

Since we hide the X font nasties from the PostScript generator, I'll need
to look into changing the Unix font manager code (the broker AbiWord uses
to manage display and print fonts on Unix) to let us know the right encoding.
This was not done in the past because apparently no one noticed "loud
enough." :)

--
Shaw Terwilliger