Re: i18n of abiword

Subject: Re: i18n of abiword
From: Pruet Boonma (pruet@eng.cmu.ac.th)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 07:54:19 CST

Quoting Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com>:

> At 05:40 PM 1/7/00 +0700, Pruet Boonma wrote:
> >Abiword can display Thai fonts on Linux but not display correctly (its
> >problem come from complex method to Thai font presentation).
>
> This raises two questions:
>
> 1. Did you need to do any special input method work to recognize Thai
> characters, or does the existing code work well enough?

I don\'t know. I did not check that how AbiWord handle display character on screen. But if we can
handle superscribe or subscribe so we can handle Multi-level displaying of Thai characters.

> 2. Is this the problem of mapping Unicode characters to the charsets used
> in the fonts? If so, we could use a general solution to the problem.

No. TIS-620 (Thai code) can be mapping directly to Unicode.

Please look at this homepage for more information about Thai implementation and its problem.
http://www.inet.co.th/cyberclub/trin/thairef/

> >I am interested in making Abiword to support Thai document, which require
> >word breaking, cause Thai language use continous word (not separate word
> >by space like English) so we need word breaking mechanism (which we have
> >some library to support this mechanism already). The problem is , where
> >should I look first for insert my word breaking code ?
>
> Each paragraph (a logical block) currently uses an fb_LineBreaker instance
> which encapsulates all (most?) knowledge of line-breaking algorithms. That
>
> class is instantiated once per section and handed to each block\'s
> constructor.
>
> abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fb_LineBreaker.cpp
> abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fb_LineBreaker.h
> abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fl_BlockLayout.cpp
> abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fl_BlockLayout.h
> abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fl_SectionLayout.cpp
> abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fl_SectionLayout.h
>
> If the entire section is going to be in Thai, then you might just be able
> subclass the fb_LineBreaker class and invoke your code from there.

I think that this place is where I can put my code it. Thanks you :)

> Otherwise, as Justin suggests, we may want to introduce hyphenation APIs
> (for breaking inside words) and put your code there.

I will waiting for it.

Pruet