Re: i18n of abiword -- line break algorithms

Subject: Re: i18n of abiword -- line break algorithms
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 14:07:10 CST

At 03:36 PM 1/14/00 -0800, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> One thing you might want to think about here is taking
>advantage of platform-centric services for this kind of thing.
>Windows and MacOS (and BeOS, I believe) all provide API routines for
>determining word & line breaking for a given text run in a particular
>language/code page. I don't know if Unix offers the same...

Thanks for the reminder.

My goal here has been to outline the kinds of design issues an i18n expert
would need to address. If most of our supported OSes come close to handling
a particular issue in similar ways, then we can hide those details behind a
common API, and fill in the gaps where needed with additional code. (For
example, this is what we've tried to do with the GR_Graphics classes.)

If, on the other hand, most platforms do *not* adequately address a
particular issue, then we're probably best off coming up with a clean XP
solution which we know will work exactly the same on all of our supported
platforms.

In this particular case, I don't know enough about the strengths and
weaknesses of the relevant platform APIs you mention. I'll defer to the
best solution coded by i18n experts.

Paul