Re: i18n of abiword -- line break algorithms

Subject: Re: i18n of abiword -- line break algorithms
From: Pruet Boonma (pruet@eng.cmu.ac.th)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 03:26:44 CST

wrote:
> > One thing you might want to think about
here is taking
> >advantage of platform-centric services for this
kind of thing.
> >Windows and MacOS (and BeOS, I believe) all
provide API routines for
> >determining word & line breaking for a given
text run in a particular
> >language/code page. I don\'t know if Unix
offers the same...

I don\'t sure that which level of Thai support in OS
like Windows. Yes we have Win95/98ThaiEdition
here but we have to had MSOffice97ThaiEdition too.
If Win95/98 is fully support Thai why have to
customize MSOffice to support Thai too. It mean
that Win95/98 support Thai \"but\" you have to
modify your program to make it support Thai (like
change from ReadKBD() to Thai_ReadKBD()
instead)

> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> My goal here has been to outline the kinds of
design issues an i18n expert
> would need to address. If most of our supported
OSes come close to
> handling
> a particular issue in similar ways, then we can
hide those details behind a

> common API, and fill in the gaps where needed
with additional code. (For
> example, this is what we\'ve tried to do with the
GR_Graphics classes.)

> If, on the other hand, most platforms do *not*
adequately address a
> particular issue, then we\'re probably best off
coming up with a clean XP

If it build in XP so we have one solution for all
platform and I think that it should be easier to
maintain it.

Pruet

> solution which we know will work exactly the
same on all of our supported
> platforms.
>
> In this particular case, I don\'t know enough about
the strengths and
> weaknesses of the relevant platform APIs you
mention. I\'ll defer to the