Re: i18n of abiword -- combining characters

Subject: Re: i18n of abiword -- combining characters
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 15:45:30 CST

Wow! It's cool to see that we have folks on this list who are very literate
on the charset issues for various South Asian scripts (Thai, Cambodian,
Gujarati, Devanagari, etc.). Thanks for all the details.

I think we're in consensus here that the combining characters problem (as I
originally described it) is real, and can't entirely be deferred to OS
services or Unicode for all languages.

I continue to hold out hope that if we send a Thai string (in Unicode or
TIS-620) to a rendering engine that it might be able to do some of the
single-cell composition for us, thus solving issue #4 in my original
summary: