SV: ANSI standards

Subject: SV: ANSI standards
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 07:07:03 CST

> According to bug 238, several string manipulation functions that we use
> are not ansi standard. I did some checking, and here are the platforms on
> which we use the functions in question:
>
> strdup
> BEOS Unix QNX
>
> stricmp, strnicmp
> Win32 QNX
>
> strcasecmp, strncasecmp
> BEOS
>
> Are these really not ansi standard? the compiler on linux is set to give
> every warning possible, and it doesn't complain about strdup. What about
> the other platforms? Does this need to be fixed?
> By the way, this was in my ZAPing of the Release Practicies POW.

The one I don't regornice is strcasecmp and strncasecmp, but its just stricmp and strnicmp with other names isn't it? strdup is just a little bad, since it need a free call.

If stricmp and strnicmp is present on BEOS, it would be nice to change, but thats just me, I dont do BEOS, so I don't have a say.

--hb